Saturday, August 30, 2008

In Memory

You may remember me talking about my Dad on my father's day posting. Well, 5 years ago today my 61 year old Dad was suddenly taken from my life. I'm not the type that dwells on "the day" as I prefer to remember the great times not the sad ones. But wow, I can't believe how fast 5 years has gone.

As I reflect on these past 5 years, I can see how I have changed as a person more than any other time in my life. I mean this is a hugely positive way. My faith is stronger than ever, and I know God has my best interest at heart. I could be angry, but these life experiences are meant to grow us and not to harm. It is all in how we choose to respond. God has brought me closer to where he wants me to be. Sure, I still get sad knowing that I can't call up my Dad and say hi. But 3 days before his heart attack, Dad and I shared a magical impromptu dance together ,in front of 150 people, that I will NEVER forget. I know, without a doubt, that it was a gift, based on the circumstances in which it happened. I didn't get to say a verbal goodbye to Dad, as he was gone when I arrived at the hospital. But our dance was a final wonderful memory. I'll never forget the wonderful hug and smile on his face that night.

Last fall my mom donated a bench in memory of Dad at their favorite park , where they walked together every day. It is a special place where anyone can sit quitely and enjoy the view or feed the ducks. I think it is a great way to rememember a great man who always lit up a room.

Now, I promise there will be some actual bear posts coming next :)

No comments: